Yes I know it seems like all I ever eat is pie.. But this is more like fish with mashed potato
Its a sad day when I make Fish Pie for one but that’s what I wanted for dinner and I was on my own so I decided to make an individual pie in one of my terracotta baking dishes, they really are handy as everything get cooked through and it retains its heat for a long time so even if you are a slow eater it stays hot unlike when you ladle a dollop of pie onto a plate and its cold in 5 minutes!
Ingredients (for 1)
- 100 Grams Firm White Fish (I used Hake which I don’t recommend! Pollock or Coley work well or Line Caught Cod)
- 10 Smallish Prawns (not tiny Shrimp but not Jumbo either-I used Frozen)
- 10 Mussels, out of their shells, cooked (I used Frozen)
- 10 Capers, drained of their brine
- 1 Tbs Fresh Parsley
- 15 grams Butter
- 15 grams Plain White Flour
- 300ml Milk
- 1 Portion of Mashed Potato
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 15 grams Cheddar, grated
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 5 grams MORE Butter!
- If using frozen shell fish- allow these to thaw
- Place White Fish in a pan with Milk & Bay Leaf, season lightly. Poach over low heat with lid on until fish is JUST turned white
- Remove Fish to a plate and allow to cool. Reserve Milk for your sauce (discard Bay Leaf)!
- In a small saucepan melt Butter with Flour until you have a Roux
- Slowly add the Milk (used to poach the fish) whisking until it is all incorporated. Bring to the boil & reduce till a simmer, stirring till thickened.
- Remove from heat
- Flake White Fish
- Add White Fish, Prawns, Mussels, Capers, Parsley & remaining Butter- mix well (but gently you don’t want to break the fish up)
- Sprinkle over Paprika
- Season to Taste
- Prepare your Mashed Potato, I just add Butter & Seasoning. Then stir in 1 Egg Yolk!
- Preheat Oven to Gas Mark 6
- Grease your individual casserole dish with Butter or Olive Oil
- Spoon in filling
- Using a piping bag pipe over Mashed Potato (or spoon it on then fork over the top to create peaks)
- Sprinkle over grated cheese
- Bake in the oven for approx 25-30 mins till Golden & Bubbling (remember your ingredients were all cooked through anyway!)
This was a simple fish pie using the ingredients I had in the fridge, freezer & cupboards.
If you want to make a special fish pie I would (and do generally!) add the following:
- A Flaked Smoked Fish Fillet- I normally use Smoked Haddock but you could use Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 a Chopped Boiled Egg Per person
- 2 Chopped Cornichons Per Person
- Some Fresh Dill/Tarragon or Chervil
Please note my piping is atrocious in the photos I need a new piping set & I was using a children’s one! If you pipe the mash it goes really crispy, ditto the egg yolk makes the mash really crisp!