The best Egg & Soldiers ever.. No annoying shell, No wasted Egg, No Chance of Under of Over doing it..
Ingredients (Serves 1)
1 Large Egg
1 tsp Butter
Salt & Pepper
Bread, Sliced (for Toast)
- Pre Heat oven to 180 oc/Gas Mark 4
- Boil the Kettle
- Crack an Egg into the Ramekin, sprinkle with Salt & Pepper & put a spoon of Butter on top of the Yoke
- Place the Ramekin into a Roasting Tin/Oven Proof Dish & pour Boiling Water until it reaches half way up the side of the Ramekin (this is your Bain Marie)
- Bake for 15 mins for a soft Yoke (give the tray a nudge near the end you want it to still wobble, its going to carry on cooking on your Plate..)
- Meanwhile Toast & Butter some Bread
This is where it becomes interesting…
- I like to smear a blob of Marmite in the Ramekin before Cracking the Egg (I hear Miso Paste gives a nice alternative)
- I have had it served with a spoonful of Caviar over the Yoke (not at home!)
- Any kind of Cream can replace the Butter on top of the Yoke
- Grated Cheese goes nicely over the top
- Flakes of Smoked Fish are delicious at the bottom of the Ramekin before you crack in the Egg
I could literally go on and on and on with Variations but it would be better for you to experiment!
The only bad thing about this breakfast is washing up the Ramekin (your don’t have to wash up a Shell..) but this is what that leftover tray of boiling water is for!..
Keep an eye on the Egg and you can see just how done the Yoke is.. There’s No pesky shell in your way! So if it goes over done or you serve it & its like Jelly you should have gone to go to Specsavers..