No I’m not a Pie Monster despite how it seems, some weeks you just don’t fancy another Meze & all you can think about is eating things you can’t get here. I think its called mental torture.. But seeing that I don’t have a Self Sadistic attitude I decided to start making the things I miss from England. (Ha ha No I didn’t buy the weather machine from The Russians to make it Rain- that’s not one of the things I miss!)
Greggs The Bakers sell a delicious Sausage, Bean & Cheese Melt which is matched perfectly with a carton of Ribena & a dreadful hangover. Since I can’t get Greggs here but unfortunately I can still get the dreadful hangovers I developed the following recipe in case of Emergencies..
Ingredients (Makes 2)
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry (remember I have a hangover)– I like to use these Mille Feuille Squares, but use any Puff and cut out whatever shape you like, 1 square folded over is like a Turnover Pie.
1 Small Handful Mild Cheddar, Grated
Milk (to glaze)
- Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 5, 190 oc (or whatever your Puff Pastry packet says)
- Place one Pastry Square onto a baking tray
- Open the can & remove the Sausages to a plate, slice them up & place half onto one Pastry Square
- Pour the Beans onto the plate & lightly mash with the back of a spoon, spoon half of this (approx 2.5 Tbs) on top of the Sausage Pieces on the Pastry Square
- Grate Cheese & Sprinkle over the Sausage & Beans on the Pastry Square- Be sensible, if you put too much filling in it will not be possible to seal it!
- Place Second Pastry Square on top of the filling & lightly press round the edge with a fork to seal
- Brush with milk & put into the oven for approx 20 mins (or follow the instructions on your packet)
- When it is nicely brown remove & leave to cool slightly- yes it will burn your mouth!
If you wish to, before the Pastie goes into the oven you can Score a few lines across it to give that authentic Greggs look!
Greggs Sausage & Bean Melt actually has tiny Sausage Meatballs inside- this wouldn’t be hard, remove some sausage meat from the skin, roll into tiny balls & lightly fry (do not allow to colour)
The best thing about making your own one is that its Hot & Crispy- unfortunately unless you get to Greggs first thing in the morning when its just been baked you are more likely to get one that has been sitting, going limp under a heating lamp for hours.. Also getting ANY Sausage at all in your ‘Sausage’ & Bean melt seems to be a bit hit and miss!
I recommend cutting a corner off & letting the steam escape for 5 minutes- don’t try to bite straight into it 😮